Week 22 is here! If you were to stretch baby out on the long side of an 8-1/2×11 piece of paper, her head and feet would reach both ends! It would be weird if you did that, but still, that’s how big baby is this week: 11 inches long. I will look at paper in a whole new light today at work!
This week things have been fairly normal. I haven’t even thought that much about pregnancy or the baby or any of that. Which may sound odd but is actually kind of a nice break. Between all the time that we were trying and all the time I’ve been pregnant so far, I’ve had babies and baby stuff and pregnancy nonsense on my brain for 15 solid months! I’ll take the break.
With that being said, let’s just jump right into the weekly standards, shall we?
- Total weight gain: 17 pounds. I’m so glad my weight gain has been manageable the last few weeks. This week I believe it was my huge uptick in cardio that helped the most. I’m doing better with last week’s goal to eat more vegetables and less carbs but it is a daily struggle!
- Cravings: Again, anything chocolate. Hot chocolate, dark chocolate, Panera’s mint chocolate crinkle cookie, you name it. Also, I’m starting to get into making myself breakfast sandwiches. I cook up a couple eggs in the evening, put them in the fridge and take them to work in the morning along with a slice of ham lunch meat and an english muffin. At work I pop the whole thing in the toaster oven and I have a delicious, protein-packed breakfast. Mmm! It still isn’t enough food in the mornings though. I’ve been so hungry this week! Baby must be growing!
- Coolest symptom: Mr. Handsome felt her kicks the other night, that was pretty cool! She also seems to love to go crazy with kicking when I’m trying to lead meetings, which is an interesting distraction that I can’t really explain to my audience. I’ve noticed that my hair feels softer and my nails seem thicker this week. My skin is looking a bit better too. Luckily I haven’t faced teenager-like breakouts but there have been a few more blemishes than I would like (which of course is more than zero!). This week though it seems like my skin is getting a hormone break, which is awesome. I can wear v-neck shirts! My chest seems to bear the brunt of it every time. Speaking of skin, I think I see the faintest linea negra starting to come in too. I had such a dark one with Baby1!
- Lamest symptom: Don’t hate me, but I’m trying hard to think of something lame this week. Oh! I can place my thumb in my belly button. The whole fingerprint part. It’s really stretching out!
- Exercise this week (the goal is 210 minutes): Drumroll, please! This week I got in 240 minutes! I’m proud of myself. A lot of that came over the weekend so I’m super happy for getting more weekend exercise in like I said I would work on for this week. I counted 90 minutes of walking plus I put in another 50 minutes on the elliptical. I logged 90 minutes of yoga and 10 minutes with arm exercises. This still doesn’t quite make up for last week’s exercise fail, but I’m taking things one week at a time here!
Baby2 has made some great strides herself! Here’s what’s new, courtesy babycenter.com:
Your baby is starting to look like a miniature newborn. His or her lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and tiny tooth buds are even developing beneath the gums. Your baby’s eyes have formed, but the irises (the colored part of the eye) still lack pigment. At 11 inches (the length of a spaghetti squash), your baby weighs almost 1 pound. If you could see inside your womb, you’d be able to spot the fine hair (lanugo) that covers your baby’s body and the deep wrinkles on his or her skin, which will be filled in before birth by a nice padding of fat. Inside your baby’s belly, the pancreas – essential for the production of some important hormones – is developing steadily.