Where the hell is time going? Baby2 is already three weeks old as of yesterday and Kiddo1 just turned nine and a half earlier this week! I can’t believe Kiddo1 has half a year until he’s ten. That’s just insane.
Anyway, since we’re going strong on National Breastfeeding Month, I thought I’d post about how Baby2 and I are doing with our own nursing efforts.
At my last update I noted that Baby2 was only eating in five minute increments. That hasn’t changed. Sometimes she’ll eat for ten or fifteen minutes, but most of the time I get five minutes. She doesn’t fall asleep or anything, she’s just… done, I guess. I tried stretching out her feedings to see if she’d eat more, but no luck (and sometimes waiting three hours just isn’t possible!). I change her diaper after five minutes and sometimes she’ll eat more but usually not. I can try to change sides, wait 20 minutes and try again, all kinds of stuff but, still, I only get five minutes.
I was worried and spoke to the pediatrician about it at Baby2’s two week checkup. The thing is, Baby2 is perfectly… normal. Her weight gain is fantastic – she gained back to her birth weight by one week (a full week earlier than needed) AND she gained another half pound by two weeks of age. So no need to worry. And I wasn’t worried until this week when she stopped pooping – we haven’t seen a poop since Saturday (which happened to be a massive one at the movie theatre!).
Our pediatrician tells us that breastfed babies can poop five times a day or once every two weeks. Both are normal. But this lack of poo is still freaking me out! Where the hell is it? Her body is not big. Where is she keeping the poo?! Fingers crossed for a big load soon.
Ah, the things a parents thinks about.
Anyway. I’ve been pumping every day, too, and the more I thought about my pumping quantities the better I felt about Baby2’s short meals. I can usually get 2-3 ounces from one breast in less than five minutes (I have a double electric Avent pump so I’m getting four to six ounces per session). I’m thinking about donating some of the milk I’ve saved up (I have almost 100 ounces already!). Initially I wanted to have a business month’s worth of milk reserved – 20 12-ounce days or 240 ounces. But why do I need that much? I’m sure I could part with my whole current stash and still be okay when I go back to work. So I’m looking in to that. I’ll post an update!
We haven’t yet used a pacifier. I’d like to see if we can get away without ever using one, but I won’t be sad if we do. We do have two that have been sterilized and are ready for us, just in case!
As far as my postpartum recovery, I feel pretty damn good, almost back to normal. The only time of day that I don’t feel pretty great is when I’m getting dressed – maternity clothes are too big but non-maternity clothes don’t quite fit right. Dresses are my go-to right now but I’m honestly getting a little tired of them. I miss pants! The time will come, though.
To expand on things that don’t fit:
- My regular jeans don’t fit. Lame. I can wear the last two pair of non-maternity jeans that fit throughout pregnancy, but they feel tighter. What’s that all about? So I wear a lot of dresses.
- My boobs are seriously huge and I have to structure outfits around their accessibility, which still feels odd. There are a few pre-pregnancy shirts I would love to wear but I can’t get to the feed bags so I don’t wear them. I’m starting to experiment with layering shirts so I can wear more normal stuff, but it’s still touch-and-go.
- My shoes feel a little snug. Anything but sandals straight up did not fit after about 39 weeks of pregnancy but still three weeks out they don’t feel normal. I’ve gotten by but I’m going to need to wear my regular shoes soon. Fingers crossed that they will fit. As awesome as shoe shopping sounds I don’t want to have to replace my beloved shoes!
Some regular things that make me feel normal:
- My midwife cleared me to exercise but because it has been So Damn Hot I haven’t actually done anything yet.
- My wedding rings don’t feel tight at all.
- The postpartum bleeding has stopped! I think I’m going to swim soon!
- I haven’t wanted to mention this until now, for fear that I might jinx myself, but here goes… I didn’t get any stretch marks! I have a couple from my first pregnancy but none this time! Yay!!
Some not-so-normal things:
- I’ve lost 14-16 pounds so far. I’m sure the other 20 pounds are in my boobs, right?
- My linea negra is still around. Can’t I just scrub it off? (No, I’ve tried.)
- I find myself telling myself to calm the hell down sometimes. I’ll get all antsy and impatient about things, especially if it involves Baby2’s eating or not eating or anything involving eating. I can calm myself, but I have to tell myself to be calm. I don’t remember being this uptight, but maybe that comes with the hormones?
Lots is happening in the next week or so. I’ll probably post another update around Baby2’s one month birthday!